Standing Wave presents
A WORKSHOP FOR YOUNG COMPOSERS
AUGUST 9-14, 2021
Online from the VSO SCHOOL OF MUSIC
Compocon is an opportunity for student composers to create new music with the Standing Wave Ensemble. Readings, masterclasses, and rehearsals will take place from August 9-14, 2021. Ensemble members, along with composers Edward Top, Jacquie Leggatt, and Keith Hamel will facilitate sessions, give feedback, and provide extensive individual coaching and mentoring to students. The ensemble will be working together in person at the VSO School, and participants and mentor composers will be attending online sessions.
A select group of up to 10 students will hone their ensemble-writing skills, and learn about style, instrumentation, notation, communication, editing, and the musical risk-taking that goes into creating thought-provoking new chamber music!
Following the summer workshop, each participant will be paired with a mentor composer who will continue to provide feedback leading up to an early autumn deadline, when completed works will be submitted to the ensemble for a public performance in early 2022.
Standing Wave Ensemble’s instrumentation is:
flute (picc.), clarinet (bass cl.), violin, cello, piano, percussion*
- vibraphone, glockenspiel, marimba, suspended cymbal, snare drum, tom toms, bass drum, other small percussion instruments can be added
Interested composers should apply by submitting, via email:
- A current bio and works list
- A 1 page letter outlining your experience, why you’d like to work with Standing Wave and if you’d like to be considered for financial assistance
- Two scores (PDFs) of previous works
- Two recordings (MIDI allowed) as a download or online stream (Google Drive, Dropbox, Soundcloud, WeTransfer, Hightail) that demonstrate the applicant’s ability to compose for chamber ensemble.
Up to 10 composers will be selected for Compocon, no fee to apply.
Participants must be available for all sessions from August 9-14. Tuition for the workshop – $650
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS EXTENDED TO JULY 4, 2021!
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.